Friday, January 14, 2011

Urban Decay Deluxe Palette Review & Swatches

Urban Decay's Deluxe Eyeshadow Palette

So, I went into Ulta the other day to look for some Primer Potion. Much to my dismay, they only had Sin and Eden, none of the original. So, I stood there at the Urban Decay stand thinger, money in hand, and decided that I should buy SOMETHING, since I never make it to that side of town anyway.

I stood there for a good 45 minutes trying to decide between the Deluxe Palette, and the Sustainable Palette. I was torn. The Sustainable Palette had 2 colors that I REALLY want, and the Deluxe Palette had 2 colors that I REALLY want. After talking with a worker, he convinced me to buy the deluxe palette.

What is the deluxe palette? Well, Urban Decay has a line of "deluxe" eyeshadows that differ from their regular ones. These have a smoother consistency, and are a lot more pigmented, and are sold individually in some sweet packaging. This palette includes 9 of Urban Decay's "deluxe" shadows: Fishnet, Honey, Ransom, Graffiti, Zero, Peace, Shag, Scratch, and Underground.

Get ready for a massive photo dump!!


The palette comes packaged in a neat purple felt case, with this nifty silver mesh. The boyfriend loves playing with it. Sometimes I think he is a cat. It also comes with a sample size of the original Primer Potion (the entire reason I was AT Ulta in the first place), one of the reasons I decided to buy it. One of the cons: this velvet attracts EVERYTHING. Dust. Powder. Cat fur. Glitter. You name it. If you want this thing to stay in mint condition, keep it in a clean place. :)


The palette is a flip-top style, and closes magnetically. This is a good thing for Eige. I tend to not be the most careful person, so the fact that it closes AND stays closed is a huge positive in my book. 


When it is opened, the palette reveals 9 colors ranging from BRIGHT brights to smooth neutrals. The case also flips up to reveal a mirror and two shadow applicators. :)


A closer look at the applicators. I hate applicators... I got to give it to Urban Decay, these guys aren't so bad. They are soft and durable.... when was the last time you had one of those?! 


Heres' a closer look at the inside of the palette. (Click for a larger view!) Each color is labeled in an easy-to-read purple font printed on the white cardboard housing. The white cardboard gets dirty easily, since, afterall, it is white, but I can deal. All the colors are HIGH SHIMMER, no mattes! I love me some shimmers!!!

Let's take a closer look at these colors, eh?


Fishnet is an iridescent purpley pink color. It is probably one of the brightest colors in the palette.  


Honey is a really shiny, glittery gold. This color is no longer available by itself at my Ulta, so it was a steal. 


Ransom is a medium purple, with a brighter blue sheen in certain lights. I really like this one. :)


Graffiti is a bright bright green. I.LOVE.THIS.COLOR. *dies*


Zero is a shimmery black. Out of all the colors, this one has the least shimmer, but it isn't at all matte. You all know I'm picky about my blacks. Not my perfect black, but I really like this one. 


Peace is a bright, high shimmer turquoise. This is my other favorite. THIS BLUE ROCKS MY SOCKS OFF. I love it. SO bright. SO shimmery.


Now, I'm not one for neutrals, but these three neutrals are amazing. Shag is a light brown/bronze, with plenty of shimmer and sparkle.


Scratch has a little bit of a champagne touch to it. This is my favorite of the neutral colors. 


Urban Decay describes this as a "medium fawn" color, but I would decribe it as similar to shag, with a little more brown in it rather than bronze. These three colors were made for each other. 

Swatches!

Applied over Urban Decay's Primer Potion. No base. :) Click on the pictures for a LARGER view. 





This picture does NOT do Peace or Graffiti justice. They are both REALLY bright and shimmery. 


So Eige, what do you think?

Well, first off, lets talk price. For $38, you get a total of nine 1.2gram shadows, two sponge applicators, a sample primer potion, and a case that will distract your boyfriend for hours. The single deluxe shadows cost $18 for 2.5 grams of one color. I think this is a STEAL. 

One thing I learned is that the applicators are in the palette for a reason. These apply the color a million times better than brushes do, and they make it easier to build up the colors for a greater pay off. They are pretty intense for pressed shadows... love them. 

I really like this palette, especially as a starter palette. It has a good collection of rad bright colors, but also has a kick ass collection of neutrals. They all have a pretty good color payoff, blend really easily, and stay. The shadow, though a pressed powder, is almost.... creamy. It is so smooth. I definitely think that I am more of a loose pigment kind of gal, but this is a pretty cool palette, if I do say so myself.

Do you have this palette? What do you think of it? Do you have any of the deluxe shadows? What color from this palette is your favorite? 

5 comments:

  1. Pretty!! I however do not think I will ever be able to being myself to pay that much. I am so cheap!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it took me A LOT to buy this one, im SUCH a cheapskate when it comes to makeup. thankfully i had a little bigger budget thanks to giftcards ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my first UD palette, and I LOVE IT! The colors are amazing, and it is really helping me explore new looks. I love the neutral colors on the bottom. Great Review, your pictures are amazing as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a nice little palette :) Good buy! Can't wait to see looks from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fishnet looks awesome - it seems to have a bit of a blue duochrome going on.

    ReplyDelete